Here we are in Day 1 of my 31 day plan to start recovering from food addiction. If you missed the index explaining why I am doing this along with a listing of other days in the series, please check out 31 Days to Food Addiction Recovery…
I have decided to use a food plan from a group called Food Addicts Anonymous. They believe that sugar, flour, and wheat are all binge-causing foods and should be cut out in order to stop the vicious cycle of binge eating. You can find details of the plan, including acceptable foods and those to avoid at the FAA website.
The highlights (taken from their food plan information page):
- The best schedule to keep blood sugar levels and metabolism steady: Breakfast + 4 hours = Lunch + 5 Hours = Dinner + 4 hours = Metabolic Adjustment (MA). The MA is a snack consisting of 1 dairy, or 2 ounces of protein, and 1 fruit.
- No flour, wheat, or sugar, including artificial sweeteners. The dangers of each of these will be explored in later posts. For now, I will leave it at their binge-avoidance explanation.
- Measure your food as large volumes of even healthy foods can trigger a binge in those of us with addictive tendencies.
- Eat a variety of foods. This is not a diet and should be viewed as a new way of life. You do not want to get burned out on the same things every day.
- Write down your menu in advance. Plan ahead!!
I highly recommend you check out their page if interested in following the plan. It has much more detailed information and tips to implement this plan of abstinence, including a list of names sugar can be disguised as.
I am really excited about the possibility of shedding these horrible daily food cravings and most likely some of these extra pounds I have been carrying around. A detox phase is to be expected and will probably hit me in a few days. My body is going to struggle with the sudden removal of all the foods it has grown accustomed to but I know the payoff will be worth it. I will share the detox symptoms as they surface. Please pray for me…